|
Shadow of the Hegemon310
It worked. Someone came in after a day of this and slapped her with another injection. And this time when she woke up, she was in a hospital bed with a window that showed a cloudless northern sky. And sitting by her bed was Dink Meeker.
这有用了。有人在一天后进来给她打了另一针,这次当她醒来的时候,她在一个有窗的医院房间里凝视北方无云的天空,坐在她旁边的是丁·米克。
"Ho Dink," she said.
“嗨,丁。”她说。
"Ho Petra. You pasted these conchos over real good."
“嗨,佩查,你最近做得真不错。”
"One does what one can for the cause," she said. "Who else?"
“每个人为了自己的原因做自己能做的事。”她说,“还有谁?”
"You're the last to come out of solitary. They got the whole team from Eros, Petra. Except Ender, of course. And Bean."
“你是最后一个从单独禁闭中出来的。他们绑架了艾洛斯上的整个小队,佩查,除了安德,还有豆子之外。”
"He's not in solitary?"
“他不是被单独禁闭?”
"No, they didn't keep it a secret who was still in the box. We thought you made a pretty fine showing."
“没有,他们没把谁还被关着当成秘密,我想你表演得不错。”
"Who was second longest?"
“谁是第二长的?”
"Nobody cares. We were all out in the first week. You lasted five."
“没注意。我们都在第一个星期就出来了,你持续了五个。”
So it had been two and a half weeks before she started her calendar.
所以从她开始日历后,已经过了两个半星期了。
"Because I'm the stupid one."
“因为我是最蠢的。”
"Stubborn is the right word."
“最固执比较正确。”
"Know where we are?"
“知道我们在哪儿?”
"Russia."
“俄国。”
"I meant where in Russia."
“我是说俄国哪儿。”
"Far from any borders, they assure us."
“离任何地方都不近,他们确定的告诉我们。”
"What are our resources?"
“我们的资源有什么?”
"Very thick walls. No tools. Constant observation. They weigh our bodily wastes, I'm not kidding."
“很厚的墙,没有工具,持续的观察,他们测量了我们身体的消耗,我不是开玩笑。”
"What have they got us doing?"
“他们想要我们做什么?”
"Like a really dumbed-down Battle School. We put up with it for a long time till Fly Molo finally gave up and when one of the teachers was quoting one of Von Clausewitz's stupider generalizations, Fly continued the quotation, sentence after sentence, paragraph after paragraph, and the rest of us joined in as best we could -- I mean, nobody has a memory like Fly, but we do OK -- and they finally got the idea that we could teach the stupid classes to them. So now it's just . . . war games."
“一个真正的地下战斗学校。我们忍受了那么长时间直到弗莱·莫罗最终放弃,而有一个教师提供了一份冯·克劳斯维兹的愚蠢的计划。弗莱沿用了这个计划,一句句,一段段,保持我们最良好的加入。我的意思是,没人记得弗莱,但是我们做得不错,而他们最终得到了这个主意认为我们可以替他们教这些愚蠢的班。所以只是……战争游戏。”
"Again? You think they're going to spring it on us later that the games are real?"
“又来了?你真认为他们打算在游戏结束后再让我们干一次?”
"No, this is just planning stuff. Strategy for a war between Russia and Turkmenistan. Russia and an alliance between Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, and Turkey. War with the United States and Canada. War with the old NATO alliance except Germany. War with Germany. On and on. China. India. Really stupid stuff, too, like between Brazil and Peru, which makes no sense but maybe they were testing our compliance or something."
“不,只是个计划材料。俄国和土库曼斯坦之间的战略计划。俄国和一个土库曼斯坦、哈萨克斯坦、阿塞拜疆、土耳其之间的联盟,对抗美国和加拿大,对抗德国之外的旧NATO联盟,对抗德国,等等。中国,印度,真是愚蠢的计划,就像巴西和秘鲁之间,根本没意义,除非他们在考验我们的顺从。”
"All this in five weeks?"
“只有五星期?”
"Three weeks of kuso classes, and then two weeks of war games. When we finish our plan, see, they run it on the computer to show us how it went. Someday they're going to catch on that the only way to do this that isn't a waste of time is to have one of us making the plan for the opponent as well."
“三个星期的课程,两个星期的战争游戏,当我们结束计划,看,他们在电脑上运行并给我们展示它是怎么运行的。有一天他们会抓住唯一一条路去做就是让我们中的一个人给他们制定计划,这并不浪费时间。”
"My guess is you just told them."
“我想是你告诉他们的。”
"I've told them before but they're hard to persuade. Typical military types. Makes you understand why the whole concept of Battle School was developed in the first place. If the war had been up to adults, there'd be Buggers at every breakfast table in the world by now."
“我告诉过他们但他们根本不听,典型的军国分子。让你知道为什么整个战斗学校的观念都发展到第一层。如果战争由成年人来打,虫子现在已经在世界上的每张早餐桌上了。”
"But they are listening?"
“但他们还是听了?”
"I think they record it all and play it back at slow speeds to see if we're passing messages subvocally."
“我想他们记录了下来然后很慢的送回去来看我们是否通过这个来传递信息了。”
Petra smiled.
佩查笑了。
"So why did you finally decide to cooperate?" he asked.
“所以你最后决定合作?”他问。
She shrugged. "I don't think I decided."
她耸肩,“我还没决定。”
"Hey, they don't pull you out of the room until you express really sincere interest in being a good, compliant little kid."
“嗨,除非你表示愿意做一个好孩子,他们才不会让你出门呢。”
She shook her head. "I don't think I did that."
她摇头,“我不认为我会这么做。”
"Yeah, well, whatever you did, you were the last of Ender's jeesh to break, kid."
A short buzzer sounded.
“啊,好吧,无论你打算怎样,你是安德小组里面最后一个了,孩子。”一个短暂的蜂鸣器响了。
"Time's up," said Dink. He got up, leaned over, kissed her brow, and left the room.
“时间到。”丁说,他站了起来,俯身吻了她的额头,然后离开了房间。
Six weeks later, Petra was actually enjoying the life. By complying with the kids' demands, their captors had finally come up with some decent equipment. Software that allowed them very realistic head-to-head strategic and tactical war-gaming. Access to the nets so they could do decent research into terrains and capabilities so their wargaming had some realism -- though they knew every message they sent was censored, because of the number of messages that were rejected for one obscure reason or another. They enjoyed each other's company, exercised together, and by all appearances seemed to be completely happy and compliant Russian commanders.
六个星期过去了,佩查的确在享受这样的生活。顺从孩子们的要求,那些绑架者最终给了他们一些像样的装备。软件可以让他们非常迅速的进行战略战术游戏,网络访问令他们能够对地形和能力进行足够的研究所以他们的战争游戏更加逼真了。尽管他们知道发出的每个信息都是经过审核的,因为信息编号功能因为某个莫名的原因被拒绝了。他们享受着彼此的战队,互相训练,每一次出现看起来都非常快乐而且顺从俄国的要求。
Yet Petra knew, as they all knew, that every one of them was faking. Holding back. Making dumb mistakes which, if they were made in combat, would lead to gaps that a clever enemy could exploit. Maybe their captors realized this, and maybe they didn't. At least it made them all feel better, though they never spoke of it. But since they were all doing it, and cooperating by not exposing those weaknesses by exploiting them in the games, they could only assume that everyone felt the same about it.
但是佩查知道,就像他们都知道的,每个人都在欺骗,隐瞒。制造隐蔽的错误,如果他们在格斗中,能够一个足够聪明的敌人制造充分的缝隙。也许他们的绑架者知道了,也许不知道,但至少这让他们感觉更高兴,尽管他们从不说出来。但是自从他们都开始做这些,而且合作着不让战争游戏揭露他们的弱点,他们就只能假定任何人都有同样的感觉。
They chatted comfortably about a lot of things -- their disdain for their captors, memories of Ground School, Battle School, Command School. And, of course, Ender. He was out of the reach of these bastards, so they made sure to mention him a lot, to talk about how the IF was bound to use him to counter all these foolish plans the Russians were making. They knew they were blowing smoke, that the IF wouldn't do anything, they even said so. But still, Ender was there, the ultimate trump card.
他们平静的交谈了很多东西,他们对绑架者的轻蔑,对地上学校的记忆,战斗学校,指挥学校,还有,安德战队。他已经脱离了这些人的控制范围,所以他们确定多提起他,多说说国际舰队如何让他去制定这些俄国制定的蠢计划。他们知道他们在制造烟雾,国际舰队不会做任何事,他们甚至这样说,但是至少,安德在那里,那是最后的王牌。 |
|